Wednesday, January 23, 2008

MALABAR FISH CURRY



In malabar area ,especially in kannur fish is a main dish daily. Even on festive occasions like Onam and vishu, fish is inevitable. This may sound weird for mallus from other parts of kerala who doesnt eat fish or meat on such days . But this is the truth. I still remember my father going to market early morning to buy fish and meat for onam and vishu.


I thought I will share this malabar fish curry here,which is my favourite curry.We usually prepare fish in a chatti .The fish curry in Thekkan region is completely different from this.They cook fish in sauted onions and tomatoes.


Ingredients


Fish - 1/4 kg

Grated coconut - 1cup

Shallots - 4-5

Tomato - 1

Chopped Ginger - 1 teaspoon

Green chillies - 3-4

Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teasppon

Red chilly powder - 2 teaspoon

Salt to taste

curry leaves - 3-4 strands

tamarind water( lemon size tamarind soaked in 1/4 cup water)


Preparation


Grind coconut adding turmeric powder to a very smooth paste.To the cooking vessel add the grinded coconut,chopped tomato,chopped ginger,green chillies,curry leaves,tamarind water,redchilly powder and salt. Add water and boil this mixture. When it starts to boil add fish and cook for 5- 10 minutes.Garnish with fresh curry leaves.

4 comments:

KF said...

Even in my place,Hindus used to cook meat on Vishu..Ur Fishcurry looks delicious and I like the chatty..

vineetha said...

Hi kf,
Thank you so much for visiting my blog...U r the first person leaving a comment for me .special thanks for that.I am so thrilled !!Thanks again...

Yummy Team said...

Yummy fish curry! Nice pic..

Anonymous said...

useful recipe thank u

01 09 10