It has been only cakes recipes in my blog lately so I had to take an extra effort to post something different before another cake recipe and this Thayyir sadham which I prepare quite often these days perfectly fitted the bill. The weather in this part of the world has been super hot and at home I don’t feel like
eating cooking any dinner
on a hot day and this curd rice is a life saver on such days... a perfect comfort
food for a hot day !
Rice - 1 1/4 cup
Carrot - 2 grated
Cucumber - 1/2 of cucumber ( finely chopped)
Ginger minced - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - finely chopped
Yogurt - 1 cup
water - 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Peanuts -2 tbs ( optional)
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Whole red chilli - 2
Asoefitida/hing/ kayam - a pinch
- Cook the rice and drain. Mash it with a spoon.
- Transfer the mashed rice into a saucepan and add yogurt/curd and water and place it on a low flame until yogurt is warm.
- Add grated carrot, chopped cucumber, ginger, coriander leaves and salt and remove from fire.
- For tadka take a small pan and add oil and when its hot add mustard seeds when it sputters add urad dal , peanuts and when it becomes light brown add whole red chillies, curry leaves and hing and heat for few seconds and remove from fire.
- Add tadka to the rice and serve hot !