Wishing all the Malayalees around the globe a very Happy Vishu !
This is my Amma’s recipe and she has been serving it to our guests since many years and is one for her signature recipe.The only modification I have done to this recipe is replacing one cup of milk with a tin of evaporated milk, thats just because I had a tin of evaporated milk which my hubby picked up accidentally long time back when I asked him to get condensed milk( maybe he did it purposefully so I wont send him for shopping all by himself again !!). Anyway it was him who remided me to use it in this payasam too :) I should say evaporated milk gave a nice flavour of reduced milk to the payasam and I will definitely be using it for again for this payasam.
Carrots – 3 large or 4 medium
Rice Ada – 100 gm
Boiling water – As required
Milk – 4 cups
Evaporated milk – 1 tin (optional) Use one cup of milk if not using it
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups ( as per your sweetness)
Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
Cashew nuts – 2 tbs
Golden Sultanans – 2 tbs
Ghee – 2 tbs
- Grate carrot and pressure cook it for 2 whistles adding 2 cups of milk
- Place 100 gms of Ada in a saucepan and add boiling water to it and cover it for ½ an hour.
- After 30 minute Ada should be soft, drain the water and keep the ada aside.
- Meanwhile puree the cooked carrot in a blender and keep it aside.
- Place evaporated milk, rest of milk( 2 cups)and bring it to boil, add cooked Ada to it and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Pureed carrot to the Ada and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cook for another 5 minutes and finally add cardamom powder and remove from fire.
- Now in a small pan add ghee and roast cashew nuts until lightly brown and sultana until they plump up
- Add Cashewnuts and sultanas to payasam and stir in.
- Serve the Payasam warm or chill in fridge and serve cold!!