Wishing you all a happy and prosperous New YearS and me are poles apart when it comes to desserts, he doesn’t have a sweet tooth at all , but me and our boy on other hand can eat sweets any time. One day out of nowhere, he told me that he feel like eating apple crumble or apple pie. I have made Apple pie before and that’s the only dessert I have seen him eating greedily J But after one episode of apple pie I decided not to make it again, not because it wasn’t tasty, it was super yumm, but super rich too. The amount of butter that goes in kind of shocks you so I decided to check apple crumble recipes online and they were much much lighter compared to Apple pie, So I decided to make this for him. Its almost ages since this demand came and he even forgot all about it but how can I forget about a dessert that he demanded first time in 8 ½ yrs !!
Apple crumble is so easy to put together and tastes great with home made custard. I think cinnamon and apple is a combination made in heaven, I just love it. This is a perfect dessert for cold wintery days, of course it cant be compared with the delicious apple pie, but any day I would prefer this over Apple pie as it’s a great dessert with less calories.
Ingredients ( serves 4-5 )
Recipe adapted from here
Apple (preferably cooking apples like granny smith ) – 4 nos ( peeled, cored and sliced)
Butter – 2 tbs
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
Light Brown sugar – 2 tbs
For crumble mix
Plain flour – ¾ cup
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Salt - pinch
Demarara Sugar – ½ cup
Butter – 40 gm ( 1/5 th of a cup)
Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- In a frying pan add butter when butter melts, add apples, light brown sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon powder and sauté until soft and tender.
- Transfer the apples into a small baking tray( right sized ).
- In another bowl take plain flour, baking powder, salt and butter and run the flour with butter until it resemble crumbs/ mositened puttu podi
- Add the sugar, cinnamon powder and mix well.Sprinkle the crumble mix on top of the apples placed in baking tray till the edge . Press them tighly.
- Bake it a preheated oven at 200 degree C for 35 – 40 minutes until the top is crispy.
- Let it cool for a little while.
For Home- made Custard
Egg yolks – 3 nos
Milk – ¾ cup
Double cream – ¾ cup
Corn flour – 1 tbs
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Sugar – ½ cup
- In a bowl take 3 egg yolks and add corn flour and sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla extract too.
- In a saucepan bring milk, double cream to boil and turn off the flame.
- Add the warm milk to the egg yolk mixture very slowly with one hand and whisking vigorously with other hand taking care not to scramble the eggs.
- Transfer everything back to the saucepan and cook on a very slow flame (takes about 10 minute ) whisking continuously until custard starts to thicken a little bit.
- Transfer into a bowl and cover it with a cling film with the cling film touching the surface of custard ( to avoid skin formation ) and then chill it.
Serve the warm Apple crumble with custard and enjoy !!