Malabar biriyani is probably the first thing which I started serving for my guests, it has taken atleast one round among most of my friends and the fact that its so easy to make without compromising taste makes me cook this over and over again. In malabar there are different ways to make biriyani and this is how we make at our home, all versions are yummy, some are just with green masalas with no spice powders and some with fried chicken, some with little masala etc etc, but I make only this way and I love it.
If you look carefully can you notice that rice I used for this biriyani is slighlty different from the usual long grain basamathi rice, we use a small variety of biriyani rice and this is one of the precious things which I pack from India every time. I always use this rice for making Malabar biriyani and I think the rice also makes a difference in the taste !
Chicken - 1 kg ( with bones )
Redchilly powder - 1 tbs
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tbs
Chicken masala - 1 1/2 tbs ( i used eastern chicken masala )
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbs
Onions - 6 -7(thinly sliced )
Tomatoes - 2
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbs
Green chillies - 1-2
Garam masala - 1 tsp
pepper powder - 1tsp
Corainder leaves- fistful
Mint leaves/ pudina - few
oil or ghee ( I used oil )
Biriyani rice - 3 cup
Ghee - 2 tbs
Onion - 1 (thinly sliced lenghtwise )
Cinnamon sticks - 2-3 sticks
Cardamom pods - 4-5
Cloves - 4
bay leaf - 2
Star anise - 2
Fennel - 1 tbs
Peppercorns - 1tsp (optional )
Lime juice- 1 tbs
Boiling Water - 5 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 tbs
Fried onions - 2 tbs
Cashewnuts - 1 tbs
Sultanas /raisins - 1 tbs
- Soak the biriyani rice in some water for 1/2 hour - 1 hour.
- Drain the rice and allow it to dry.
- Meanwhile marinate the chicken with all the ingredients mentioned under marination and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- In a big wok add oil /ghee and saute thinly sliced onions adding a pinch of salt. Saute until they are brown, it may take upto 30 minutes.Walk away from onions and come back once in while and give it a stir.
- Once onions are well browned add ginger garlic paste, green chillies,fry for a minute or so.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until slighlt mushy.
- Add marinated chicken and cook covered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Finally add garam masala, pepper powder, corainder leaves, mint leaves and cook for a minute and remove from fire.
- Meanwhile in a heavy bottomed pan add 2 tbs ghee and throw in the whole garam masala and fry till a nice smell comes, add in the sliced onions and saute the thinly sliced onions for rice until they are soft and light brown.
- Add the rice, lime juice , salt and fry the rice for few minutes until rice becomes lighlty brittle.
- Add 5 1/2 cups of boiling water, salt and cook till the water has all been abosrbed , rice will be 99 % cooked now.Switch off the flame, leave the rice covered ( it will get fully cooked from heat) for 5 minutes.
- In a oven proof dish layer rice and chicken masala alternately and cover the dish tightly and pop them into a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a pan add ghee and fry cashewnuts until brown, fry sultanas/raisins until they puff up and keep it aside.
- Once the biriyani is out of the oven garnish the biriyani with fried onions, cashewnuts and sultanas.
- We serve it hot with some coconut chutney, raita, pappad, pickles and cabbage thoran but you can
even enjoy the biriyani on its own !