Friday, April 12, 2013

Unniappam

                              

Wishing you all a Very happy Vishu !

Unniappam always bring some nostalgic feeling for me, especially the Vishu back home, My amma makes atleast 100 unniappams for vishu and its usually prepared the night before vishu, so she will be busy in kitchen till late night and our house will be full of unniappams aroma all night. In our place we usually keep Unniappams for vishu kani, so unniappams are a must for vishu, so after i moved with my hubby I used to either buy readymade unniappams and few times we were lucky to fly home during Vishu . I have posted about our  Vishu , the way  we celebrate it  back home with our vishu kani pic 3 years ago so I am not going into all details.You can read it here.

So this time I decided to try my hands on unniappam rather than buying it, and last time when I went to India I got myself a unniappam pan / paniyaram pan , but lazy me didnt take it out till yesterday !I always used to think unniappam is something which I will never make as all the making process seemed a bit complicated for some reason. But when I tried myself I found that its not that a big deal as I  thought, but I should admit that I had little struggles and  I had to call my amma several times on phone but the end result was worth it , it tasted just like the one amma makes!

                               


Paniyaram pan for making uniappam 
Recipe source - Amma
Ingredients
Rice flour - 1 1/2 cup 
Plain flour / Maida - 1/2 cup 
Banana small - 2 ( I used 1  banana which we get here ,which is big )
Cardamoms pods - 4 nos
Coconut flakes/Thenga kothu  - 1 -2 tbs 
Jaggery - 350 gm
water - as required ( I used 1/3 cup)
salt - pinch
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbs
Oil for deep frying

Method
  •  In a mixing bowl measure rice flour, plain flour, salt and keep it aside.
  • Melt jaggery in a saucepan adding little water, strain and remove impurities.
  • Pour the melted jaggery to flour mixture and mix.
  • Puree bananas in a blender annd add it the batter.
  • Allow the batter to rest for 3 hours for flavours to mingle. Batter should be like an idly batter as the batter thickens  up after 3hours. But be careful not to make it too loose.
  • Roast coconut flakes/thenga koothu in 1 tbs ghee and add it to the batter.
  • Add baking soda and mix well.
  • Meanwhile add oil to each hole of paniyaram pan filling only half, otherwise it oil will overflow when you pour the batter.
  • Keep the oil on a medium flame and pour 1 small laddle of batter to each hole.When it starts to leave the edges of the pan, flip them over once and fry till golden (mine was bit dark though ).Takes about 2-3 minutes. 
  • Allow the unniappams to cool down ans eat them the same day ,but it tastes better the next day.
Serving suggestion - You can eat just unniappams but try eating uniappams with some banana, love the combination !

                             

24 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious and tempting

Chitz said...

Wow.. Perfect uniappams Ruchi.. I am missing these delicacies.. Next time when I am on vacation going to buy the pan :)

Shema George said...

Unniappams look good - i bet they taste yummy as mother's recipes are the best! Happy Vishu to you in advance :)

Julie said...

Ravile thanne kopthipichuu,love this always..atlast unnniyappam undakki,alle..yummy & perfect!!
Happy Vishu wishes too,Vinee :)

Veena Theagarajan said...

tempting and tasty looking Uniappam

Gayathri Ramanan said...

one of my fav sweet..yummy..nice clicks

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Inniki vennam...Looks so perfect and delicious...

Princy Vinoth said...

oh looks super good.i love them.Happy Vishu to u.

Nabanita Das said...

Lovely sweets...

Anu said...

Looks perfect and delicious

Manju said...

Even I wanna make Unniappam at home one of these days...recipe sounds pretty easy, should giv it a shot...

Kathakali thala is adding a nice authnetic touch to the pic :-)

Luv,
Manju
http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

Priya Suresh said...

Love that beautiful kathakali thala sis, cant take my eyes from those cute appams,very attractive..

Happy vishu wishes to u and ur family sis.

Suja Manoj said...

Wow adipoli,perfect unniappams,Happy Vishu to you and family.

Maha Gadde said...

cute balls luks Yummy n mouthwatering!!
MAHA

Saranya Balaji said...

my fav one i had been ages i had this...pic looks very unique

Revathi said...

oh my god,i'm drooling here...looks great,happy vishu and have a great future ahead

Mélange said...

Nothing can beat it,Perfect ones..
Wish you and family a very happy Vishu vineetha.

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Yumm Yumm, Mine is getting ready. Happy New Year Wishes to you and family Vini!!!

Sona - Quick Picks said...

my!!! who can say no to that!!! Happy Vishu dear.

Rafeeda AR said...

i could keep having it at any time of the day... looks really yummy... i've a pan with me, should make it sometime... :)

Nilu A said...

Loved the unniyappams... I'll definitely try this tempting recipe soon... I'm a new blogger... Do visit my blog.. http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/

Rekha Vengalil said...

Perfect and looks delicious..:-)

divya said...

these look absolutely amazing... :)

LOTUS said...

looks delicious....when i am on vacation next time,will buy unniyappam pan....will try ur recipe first....
LOTUS