|Paniyaram pan for making uniappam|
Recipe source - Amma ( makes 35 small uniappams)
Raw rice - 1 cup
Plain flour / Maida - 1/4 cup
Banana small - 1 ( I used 1/2 of the banana which we get here ,which is big )
Cardamoms pods - 4 nos
Coconut flakes/Thenga kothu - 1 -2 tbs
Jaggery - 175 gm
water - as required ( about 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup to melt jaggery )
salt - pinch
Baking soda - 1/8 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbs
coconut oil for deep frying
- Soak the rice in water for for few hours.Drain the water.
- Grind the soaked rice with 1/4 cup water addding cardamom pods in a blender.
- Add in half of the banana, plain flour,salt and blend it with the batter until mixed.
- Melt jaggery in a saucepan adding little water, strain and remove impurities.
- Pour the melted jaggery to the batter and mix with a spoon , please make sure not to cook the batter. Batter should be like an idli batter and not too loose.
- Roast coconut flakes/thenga koothu in 1 tbs ghee and add it to the batter
- Add baking soda to the batter and mix.
- Let the batter rest for an hour for the flavours to mingle.
- Add oil to each hole of paniyaram pan.
- Keep the oil on a medium flame and pour 1 tablespoon of batter to each hole.When it starts to leave the edges of the pan, flip them over once and fry till golden.Takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the unniappams to cool down ans eat them the same day ,but it tastes better the next day.
Serving suggestion - You can eat just unniappams but try eating uniappams with some banana, love the combination !