Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tomato rice


 
Simple and quick recipes like this are always a blessing  especially for packed lunch box. I was never   a  tomato fan all my life but still I love this rice. I was inroduced to this recipe by one of my friend about 2 years ago and has been making this every now and then and now even  my liking towards tomato is  changing, I am learning to love tomato based dishes :)
 
Ingredients
 
Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1/2 of an onion
Tomatoes - 4 small
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tbs
Curry leaves - few
Redchilly powder - 11/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Raisins - fistful
Salt
 
Method
1.Cook rice and keep it aside.
2.In a wok add some oil and sputter mustard seeds followed by urad dal.
3.Add curry leaves ,chopped onions and saute till onion are soft.
4.Add Chopped tomatoes,spice powder , salt and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
5.Add some raisins and stir for 1-2 minutes.
6Add cooked rice ,mix  well and turn of the flame.
 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

simple lunch box recipe.. always a life saver :)

Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights said...


simple and quick recipe...you can also try a version with some roasted peanuts and chana daal or temper it along with the mustard seeds n all (just for a crunchy bite in between)

Love what you've done with the header...even I'm planning to update mine...Still thinking of a good look!

Regards,
Manju
http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Lovely header dear and simple comforting food

Swathi said...

Tomato rice looks delicious. Your header looks very beautiful.

Julie said...

Yummy tomato rice,quick fix too..as Manju commented I too add those crunchy nuts too..Lovely header as well :)

Torviewtoronto said...

tomato rice looks wonderful deliciously presented

great-secret-of-life said...

so delicious love the color

Vimitha Durai said...

Flavorful rice

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Beautiful header Vineetha...Tomato rice is one of my favorites