Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Orange drizzle cake


It’s June now and it’s supposed to be summer here, but weather has been so depressing and cold since the last 3 days. This always happens when the school breaks up for half term thus making our holidays miserable. But when weather doesn’t agree, there is always one activity we both (my 7 year old and me) enjoy doing at home, baking! Since it’s summer (well at least it’s June) we choose this Orange drizzle cake this time which screams summer . This time I had another little helper an enthusiastic 5 year old who came for a play date. They did almost everything independently. I only gave instructions and supervised! Once the cake was out of the oven they were so impatient so I had to cut the warm cake and half of the cake was gone even before I took descent pictures.



Ingredients
Plain flour - 150 gm
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Orange zest (unwaxed oranges) - 1 tsp
Orange extract - 1 tsp
Unsalted butter - 150 gm
Caster sugar - 150 gm
Eggs (large) - 3
Orange juice - 2 tbs
For Drizzle
Orange juice - 75 ml
Icing sugar – 125 gm

Method
  • Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
  •  Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
  • Add eggs one and time and beat well.
  • Add orange extract and beat until mixed.
  • Add the flour, orange juice, orange zest and fold in gently.
  • Transfer the batter into an 8 inch greased cake tin.
  • Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for about 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
  •  Meanwhile make the orange syrup by mixing orange juice with icing sugar and mixing until sugar is almost dissolved.
  • Once the cake comes out of the oven, puncture all over the cake with a skewer and pour the orange syrup.
  • Let the cake soak the orange juice and let it cool down in the tin.

4 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

Today, as I was passing by your sister's building, I was thinking about u! No news of you at all... :) And there I come and see a post... I love orange cakes, and this one looks so soft! I haven't got the kids to help me till date, since I am scared of having them around... hehe...

Chitz said...

Wow, that cake seriously screams summer n tea time.. u made me crave.. lovely of u to let the kids help u out :)

Famidha Ashraf said...

Budding bakers eh! Even with half cake gone, your pictures are amazingly soothing to gawk! Mangoes have started to replace orange here..

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

The cake looks amazing.... the kids did a good job... I am just waiting for the day I can bake with my kid...it would be fun alle