Saturday, April 9, 2016

Creme brulee



I am obsessed about making new desserts whenever I get a chance. Having a sweet tooth doesn’t help it either. When I plan a dinner party first thing I think about is the dessert and most of the time I will go for a new dessert and my guests become the Guinea pigs J I do revisit some of the classic desserts, especially for blogging purpose and this crème brulee is one such. I have tried this before but I didn’t have a blow torch then, so for this year’s Mother’s day  when  I got a blow torch ( upon demand ) I knew I will be making crème brulee soon. So when we had friends over this time I planned cream brulee . I even got S ready  to click a shot when I caramelise sugar with blow torch! I took the dessert out and pressed the button..nothing happened. I was so frustrated beyond words. Asked S to check it, he looked it over few times and but he couldn’t fix it either. After all that planning,it was so disappointing. I had no option rather than using the grill again. Grill does a decent job, only thing is you have to watch like a hawk or you might burn your caramel. I stood by the oven door and evenly caramelised it. I didn’t bother to take any picture yesterday after that. When I served this yesterday to my guests, they all loved it so much, so I saved one bowl of crème brulee for today to click it during daylight.

This is such an easy dessert to make but at the same time an elegant one.

Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
Double cream- 450 ml
Milk – 150 ml
Egg yolks – 8 number
Caster sugar – 75 gm
Demarara sugar – 6 tbs
Vanilla bean – 1

Method
  • Place 6-8 clean ramekins in the fridge for couple of hours before you plan making it or put in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
  • Measure milk and double cream in a thick bottomed saucepan .Slit a vanilla bean into it and heat it until it’s about to boil. Remove from fire when it is about to boil.
  • Place the egg yolks in a large bowl, add sugar and beat it. Add the warm milk – cream mixture to it very slowly while it’s beating.
  • Wash the saucepan quickly and pour everything back into the pan and cook on a low flame stirring continuously for about 10 minutes or until custard thickens.
  • Pour the custard into the chilled ramekins and when the custard cools downs a bit put in the fridge for 2-3 hours to set.
  • Take it out of the fridge and sprinkle demarara sugar on top of the custard. If you have a blow torch caremelise it using a blow torch.If not, place it under a hot grill until the sugar caramelises evenly. Be careful not to burn it.

 

5 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

Oh god! How irritating it is when something doesn't work at a time when we want it to do its task... the creme brulee looks so delicious, love this classic dessert any time...

Famidha Ashraf said...

Awwww, Vineetha.. thats awful but glad you made it perfectly and your guests loved it too. All the bad feelings go away when it is appreciated right? But yeah, now get it to work before you try again! :-D I am avoiding making desserts .. there was a time I had to make every single day... The creme brulee looks delicious, and I never got to have it more than a time.. neat picture..

Unknown said...

Almost Deja Vu for me as I contemplate buying a Blow torch. Did you go for Kitchen Craft :-) I loved the trick it does. I can actually see the crust on the brûlée. The photographs are simple but I always feel food should be clear and its delicious screams from the screen. Great knowing you V. Best Regards, Pallavi

Vineetha Sush said...

@Rafeeda..it was so annoying :) Thank you.
@Famidha yes all that frustartion faded when it was enjoyed by everyone.
@Pallavi, it's not kitchen craft, I have to figure out what's wrong now :( Thanks for dropping by :)

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

Vinee... if you had not mentioned it I wouldn't have known that u used the grill rather than the torch...good job ... all u need is to see people enjoy having it and when that happens that recipe/method is just perfect