It was my sister’s birthday on the weekend and since she was with me this time I decided to make it special for her. I asked her to choose the cake and she wanted a chocolate cake which is soft like a pastry/dessert cake with some fresh cream or something similar. I brain stormed for a while and then came up with this Tiramisu cake which she happily approved. I have made Tiramisu as a dessert several times with sponge fingers and that’s one of my favourite desserts and I knew if it’s a Tiramisu cake it will be even better and I was right. It was utterly delicious and she absolutely loved it and we all finished the cake even before I could take a picture of the cut slice to show you all the beautiful thin layers which I was really proud of.To be honest it was the first time my hands was so sturdy to cut such thin layers to make the 4 layered cake.
Recipe source for sponge- BBC good food
Ingredients - serves ( 8-10)
For the chocolate sponge ( I use 200 ml cup)
Plain flour- 100 gm( 1 tbs less than I cup)
Sugar – 140gm ( ¾ cup)
Butter – 50 gm /1/4 cup (melted)
Cocoa powder – 25 gm
Eggs – 4 large
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Salt – pinch
For the filling( cooked egg version)
Egg yolks – 3
Caster Sugar – 2 tbsp + 1 tbs
Icing sugar / powdered sugar – 8 tbs or as per your sweetness
Tia maria or any coffee liqueur – 4 tbsp( 2+2)
Coffee- ½ cup( dissolve ½ tsp instant coffee in ½ cup of boiling water)
Whipping cream – 500 ml
Mascarpone cheese- 250gm
Grated chocolate – 1/3 cup
Vanilla extract – 1tsp
Making the cake
- Measure flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt in a mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- Beat eggs with sugar and vanilla extract until its thick and trebled in volume for about 5-8 minutes.
- Sieve the dry ingredients from mixing bowl to the egg mixture and fold in gently.
- Add in the cooled melted butter and gently fold in.
- Divide and pour the batter into two 8 inch cake tins and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for about 10-12 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cut each layer horizontally into two and you will get 4 layers of cake.
Making the coffee
- Dissolve ½ tsp of instant coffee powder in ½ cup boiling water, add 2 tbs of coffee liqueur, 1 tbs of sugar, vanilla extract and keep it aside.
Preparing the filling
- In a heat proof bowl place three egg yolks, add 2 tbs of sugar and 2 tbs of coffee liqueur and place it over a barely simmering pan of water and beat with and electric beater for about 5-8 minutes or until its thick and volume has trebled.
- Remove from heat and let it come to room temperature and then add mascarpone cheese and beat.
- Whip double cream with icing sugar until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold the whipped cream to the cheese egg mixture.
Assembling the cake
- Place the first layer of cake on a cake board and brush it with prepared coffee, let the cake soak the coffee.
- Spread the filling on top of it and sprinkle some grated chocolate on top.
- Repeat the same for the other 3 layers.
- Decorate the cake as you like. I placed some sponge fingers on the side and did a small piping on the border and centre.
- Chill the cake until its ready to be served.