It’s almost the end of our summer holidays and I am dreading the thought of morning rush and busy weekdays. The summer here has already ended and it almost feels like autumn with grey skies and rain, but I am glad that we had a good summer this year which helped me in not missing India badly as we usually go home during this time of the year. We went for a coastal holiday to Cornwall and had a good break there. It was a perfect holiday in every sense and then came my little sister and family from Ireland. We are busy taking them in and around London and days are flying. She is still here and I have few more days to enjoy before we all get back to our routine J. Onam ( Kerala’s festival) is around the corner and this time we are going to prepone it a little bit and have a family Onam before my sister leaves. I will try and post few recipes which I cook for our sadhya/feast before Onam.
I made this cake for a group of friends celebrating their friends birthday ( how sweet ) and it was a last minute request so even though I couldn’t do justice to the look of the cake I got a good feedback for the taste which is what matters after all J.
Ingredients ( for cake)
Maida / All Purpose flour - 225 gm / roughly 2 cups
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cocoa powder - 1/2 cup
Boiling water - 250 ml
Unsalted butter (softened )- 125 gm
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Dark muscuvado sugar - 100 gm ( tighly packed 1/2 cup)
Caster sugar - 150 gm ( 1 1/2 cup )
Eggs - 2 large (at room temperature )
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and keep it aside.
- In a bowl measure cocoa powder, dark brown muscuvado sugar, boiling water and whisk. Keep it aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat one egg at a time and beat well ,add a tbs of sifted flour and beat for few seconds, break the second egg and beat well.
- Add vanilla extract and beat.
- Add the rest of the sifted flour and beat.
- Finally add the cocoa mixture and fold in.
- Pour the batter into two 8 inch greased cake tins and bake them in a preheated oven at 180 degree celcius for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for frosting
Whipping cream/ Fresh cream – 600ml
Icing Sugar – 4tbs or as per your sweetness
Vanilla extract – 1tsp
Whip everything together in a bowl until soft peaks are formed.
Assembling the cake
Place the first layer of cake on cake board and spread the frosting on top, place the second layer on top of it and repeat the same and also on the sides and then decorate it with fruits of your choice.