Friday, October 26, 2012

Kallummakkai Achar (Mom's special)/ Pickled Mussel's



Everytime when I come back after a  vacation from home, I will be carrying a  lot of goodies that my amma has packed for me .I never thought how much work is going onto all of this preperation until this time when I got to see her doing all the preps.I always bring all the spice powder which would last for a year and this year too I packed up a whole lot of  chilly powder,corainder powder,turmeric powder,Puttu podi(rice flour) ,pickles etc .But now that I know how much work is behind it ,they are precious to me.

Kallummakai Achar is one thing that I would die for  and always bring back and this time since  amma was busy with few other things I was in charge of cleaning it.Oh God,I thought I never will ask amma to make this again for me.We bought 100 of them and I was standing in the kitchen for nearly 2 hours cleaning it and removing the poo from inside..phew! With just the cleaning done I handed over it to  amma and she did another 1 hour work to make this one jar of pickle. Eventhough that day I thought I am not going to make it again,every time I take a spoon full of it, it makes all our effort so worthwhile,what can I say more about it...

I have been relishing  this pickle for almost 2 months now, only taking it when I crave for it badly, just to save it for later. But now the pickle jar is almost empty and I thought I should blog about it before finish it off. All that I have got now is in the pic,weather was too gloomy today but I m sure if I wait for a sunny day to click it then there wont be any pickle in the jar :)

Here is my amma's recipe

Ingredients

Mussels/Kallummakkai - 100 nos
Dates - 10 no
Ginger - finely chopped ( 1 1/2 tbs)
Garlic - chopped ( 3 tbs)
Green chillies - 3-4
Curry leaves - few
Vinegar- as required
Pickle Powder - 1-2 tsp
Redchilly powder - 1 1/2 tbs
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Sugar - 1 tsp
Sesame oil

Method

1. Clean the mussels outer shell and steam them in a saucepan for few minutes until all the shells have opened.
2.Remove the mussels from the shell and discard  the shell.
3.Take out the poo and vein  from each mussel and clean.(quite tedious)
4.Marinte the mussels with redchilly,turmeric and salt and shallow fry them in sesame oil.
5.In another  pan add some sesame oil and saute ginger,garlic ,curry leaves and green chillies for 1-2 minutes.switch off the flame.
6.In a bowl mix mussels and  the sauted ingredients.
7.Make a puree of dates with little vinegar and add this too.
8.Finally add pickle powder,sugar,salt and vinegar if required.



9 comments:

divya said...

tempting post... lovely clicks makes me hungry

Nitha said...

My fav too... Love it a lot..

Teena said...

Lip smacking pickle!! Bookmarked to try :)

Julie said...

Mouthwatering pickle,yummy!!
Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving

Swathi said...

Adipoli achar, amma's recipe is always best.

Suja Manoj said...

Never got a chance to try this,looks delicious.

Unknown said...

something totally new to me.. like it..

Priya Suresh said...

Nothing will beat amma's special dishes na, irresistible,tonguetickling pickle.

Unknown said...

this is one among my favourite pickle.. can you plz tell me the ingredients that you had used for preparing pickle powder