Chicken - 600 gm
onion - 3
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbs
Cinnamon /patta - 1 stick
Cardamom/ elakka - 2 pods
Clove/ grambu -3
Bay leaf -1
Star anise / thakkolam -1
Fennel seeds/ perum jeerakam - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds / jeerakam - 1/4 tsp
Pepper corns/ kurumulaku - As per your taste ( for crushing in the end )
Redchilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tbs
Coriander powder - 2 tbs
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Marinate the chicken with red chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder and half of the ginger garlic paste and keep aside for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan add some oil and sputter cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Add the whole spices and stir for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute until it becomes brown in colour.
- Add rest of the ginger garlic paste and saute again until the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute until it is well cooked and mushy.
- Add marinated chicken to this and stir well.
- Cook coverd in a lowflame. Donot add any water as chicken itself will leave water while cooking.When chicken is almost cooked add freshly crushed peppercorns and curry leaves.To make the gravy dry, cook for fewminutes taking the lid off untill the chicken is well coated in the gravy.