Friday, February 21, 2020

Poori


I was never a poori fan, mainly because after eating one or two pooris  I  would feel a bit sick because of the oil , so I almost never made pooris. When I saw  Ria’s best poori recipe in her blog,  I bookmarked it straightaway because it looked so perfect ! I have to say I am converted now. It’s undoubtedly  the best poori I ever had. It’s crispy on the outside, soft inside and not greasy at all.  I think adding rava to the poori makes it non greasy and addictive. I would say this is a cross between poori and batura and slightly thicker than normal pooris. If you are looking for authentic poori taste maybe this recipe is not for you. I did try playing around with ratio of original recipe by reducing rava and maida  but I  think the original version gives the perfectly puffed up ones which doesn’t deflate or  drink any oil.
 Thanks to Ria for the recipe :)

Ingredients
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Plain flour/maida – 1/2 cup
Semolina – ¼ cup
Besan – 1tbs
Oil heated – 2 tbs
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt
Milk( at room temp) or water – ½- ¾ cup ( I used milk)
Oil for deep frying

Method

  • Take all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add warm oil to it and rub into the flour like we do while making pastry.
  • Add milk and knead the dough for few minutes to form a stiff dough. This is very important. Poori dough has to be stiff always unlike chapathi dough. Cover and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into small balls and roll it with an rolling pin making sure not to roll out too thin like chapathy ( very thin ones will crack , won't puff up and might even end up like pappadam). Do not use flour to roll the dough.
  • Heat oil in pan to medium high heat and when oil is hot enough ( test it by putting a small piece of dough and if it floats to the top it’s ready) and fry the poori by holding it down with a slotted spoon till it puffs up. Flip it  over and fry for few more seconds until it’s golden.
  • Transfer the poori’s into a kitchen tissue to drain the oil.
  • Serve with the curry of your choice !


1 comment:

Suja Manoj said...

Looks so delicious, kothiyavunnu