Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Koorka Thoran/Chines potato thoran/ Chinese potato stir fry


 Do you  know anyone who doesn’t like koorka/Chinese potato ? I haven’t met any.. Even my son who tried it sceptically for the first time yesterday said it’s quite yumm ! Unfortunately we don’t get it that easily here, so when my friend got me some from an Indian shop I was doing a happy feet dance ! It’s a tedious job to clean those beauties and a bit time consuming. With a baby who needs my constant attention, it wasn’t easy at all. I had to do the cleaning bit in three sittings during his cat naps. I aimed to cook it for lunch but in the end only got it ready for dinner. Do I need to say more about my dinner, I was in Koorka heaven which made all the effort in prepping them worthwhile!

Ingredients
Koorka – 500 gm
Kunjulli /Shallots – 7-8 no
Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – few
Mustard seeds
Grated coconut – 2 tbs
Coconut oil
Salt
water

Method
Wash the mud off from  koorka and scrape off the skin with a knife.
Wash again and cut them into small pieces, mix it with turmeric powder and set side.
In a pan/cheenachatti add coconut  oil and sputter mustard seeds.
Add thinly sliced shallots and fry until its soft.
Add red chilli flakes,curry leaves and stir for a minute.
Add  koorka, salt and very little water and cook the koorka until soft and cooked.
Finally add grated coconut, give it a mix and cook for a minute or so.
Remove from fire and add a tsp of coconut oil .


  

2 comments:

Ruxana Gafoor said...

Looks healthy and yummy!

Rafeeda AR said...

I have never picked up koorka yet though it is fairly available here. In fact there are so many vegetables that I need to put my hands on and start cooking! The cleaning part is what really puts me off... hehe... the thoran looks really good...