Living very close to Wimbledon has definitely rubbed on some serious tennis interest in me. Last Sunday when it was Wimbledon final I was all set to watch the game with a classic English trifle. It was a nail biting game indeed, we were supporting Djokovic and I really jumped out of joy when he won! Now that the Wimbledon is over I am following football religiously. I would have loved to see in Brazil in final but now that they are gone I am supporting Argentina J
Anyway coming back to topic, it’s so easy to assemble this trifle and all you need to cook is some home -made custard. In case if you don’t want to make homemade custard use custard powder which is also pretty good.
Ingredients (Serves 4 )
Trifle Sponges/ Sponge cakes – 8
Strawberry jam – 8 tsp
Brandy – 2tbs (optional) ( dissolve 2 tbs of brandy in 2 tbs of water and add 1 tsp of sugar)
Home- made custard ( recipe here)– 2 cups ( thick consistency )
Whipped cream – 300 ml
Icing sugar – 2 tbs
Strawberry and banana slices – 1 cup
- Slice the sponge lengthwise into two and spread the jam and sandwich it back.
- Place the sponges into a one big trifle bowl or in individual dessert bowls.
- Sprinkle brandy (if using ) on the sponges and leave it for 2-3 minutes for soaking.
- Pour home- made custard on top of it .
- Spread the fruits slices
- Finally whip some cream with icing sugar and spread it on top layer.
- Allow it to set for an hour or 2 and serve chilled !