Finally the much awaited summer is near our doorsteps, we have been blessed with warm weather with descent average of 18- 20 temperatures during the days. Summer clothes, flip flops, sunglasses and sun hats are out and so are the people!
I have been gifted an ice cream maker by my hubsters good friend recently and I was waiting for the weather to get warmer to make ice creams. Ice cream maker makes the whole process much easier and I love it. I decided to go for a simple vanilla flavour for the first time. This is a rich ice cream and it is custard based and calls for egg yolks. I saved all the left over egg whites from the eggs and it was put into good use by making egg white omelette which I liked better than usual egg omelette. I will share that recipe soon but till then enjoy the creamy and delicious vanilla ice cream!!
Recipe source- here
Milk – 1 ½ cup
Double cream – 1 ½ cup
Sugar – ¾ cup
Vanilla bean – 1(split lengthwise)
Egg yolks – 6
Salt – pinch
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Place the ice cream maker in the freezer 24 hours before you make the ice cream
- Place sugar,
milk,salt and cream in saucepan and heat it on a low flame until sugar is dissolved.
- Scrape the seeds from vanilla bean and add it to the milk mixture and turn off the flame. Let the flavour of the vanilla seep into the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Whisk 6 egg yolks in a bowl and gradually add the milk mixture to it stirring continuously.
- Place everything back into the bowl and heat it on a low flame stirring continuously with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula until it custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon, might take up to 15 minutes.
- Sieve the custard if necessary and stir in vanilla extract. Cover and transfer the mixture into refrigerator and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Transfer everything into frozen ice cream maker and churn for 20-30 minutes until you get the desired consistency.
- Transfer it into a freezer safe container and freeze for few hours. Before serving take it out of the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before and scoop out the delicious ice cream and enjoy!