Ever since I learnt about this dessert I was so desperate to make to this. I used to gaze at the tender coconuts in Indian shops here which makes special appearance during festive occasions but without the vettu kathi/ chopper there was no point in buying them. Hammer works well for me to crack the coconut shell so I never had the need of vettu kathi to crack my coconuts, so last year when I went to India I decided to pack one chopper in check in luggage just for chopping my tender coconut, but at the last moment I dropped the plan as I was worried about security checking. After that, I never thought I would be able to make tender coconut pudding in my kitchen here until I saw this frozen young coconut shavings in a Korean shop here. They had cans of young coconut water too, so picked up both and tried making it. Finally I can cross of my desire to make tender coconut pudding for the time being. It was a delicious dessert but I think the frozen tender coconut didn’t do compete justice to my pudding so I will be trying it again during my next vacation with fresh tender coconut J
Ingredients ( serves 6)
Tender Coconuts shavings – 1cup ( from 2 tender coconuts)
Tender coconut water – 1 cup
Milk – 2 cup
Water – ½ cup
Gelatin – 15g/ 5 tsp
Condensed milk/Milk maid – 200 ml / ½ tin
Sugar – ½ cup or as per your sweetness
- In a blender puree the tender coconut shavings with coconut water.
- In a heatproof bowl add boiling water and add gelatin and dissolve, keep it aside.
- Place milk, condensed milk and sugar in saucepan and warm till sugar dissolves. Let it cool down a bit.
- Add tender coconut puree to it and mix well.
- Finally add the gelatin mixture and mix.
- Pour the mixture into serving bowl and chill for 3-4 hours or until set.