When I am in a restaurant, there are some particular dishes which I read over and over again but never bothered to order or wonder how it tastes. Chilly paneer is one such thing, my few friends here have been telling me that there are some Indian restaurants around where they serve very good chilly paneer. But nope.. I still didnt want to taste it ! Wondering what changed now ?? Since my parents are here on holiday I have been cooking a lot for them and the other day when I was cooking my Paneer butter masala my mum asked me whether I know how to make chilly paneer. I used to think that chilly paneer is popular only in my age group and is a relatively new thing, but she told me that years ago when I was a school girl our family went for a holiday somewhere and we ordered chilly paneer from a restaurant along with roti and the taste of that chilly paneer is something she cant forget and still in her tongue ! Well after that I had to rethink about my outlook towards the whole chilly paneer and thats how decided to go ahead make this especially for my mum :) And the verdict ....yes I loved it too. Now when I want to make a dry paneer dish I dont have to always rely on Kadai paneer, infact I liked it better than kadai paneer :) So if you are paneer fan and like Indo chinese food, this is the kind of dish for u.
For marinade and frying
Paneer - 250 gm
Maida/ plain flour - 4 tbs
Cornflour - 2 tbs
Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Water - 1/4-1/2 cup
Oil for shallow frying
Onion - 2 medium ( cubed )
Capsicum/ pepper - 1
Green chillies - 2( cut diagnoly )
Minced ginger - 1 tsp
Minced garlic - 1tsp
Tomato sauce/ tomato ketchup - 3 tbs
Soya sauce - 2 tbs
Chilly garlic sauce - 2 tbs
Cornflour - 1 tbs
Water - 3 tbs
- In a bowl add Plainflour, cornflour, salt,pepper, ginger garlic paste and water and make a batter ( thick enough to coat the paneer )
- Dip the paneer in the batter and shallow fry them in a pan adding oil flipping the sides until they are golden brown. Drain it on paper towel / kitchen tissue and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add minced ginger, minced garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cubed onions and chopped green chillies and saute until onions are soft.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Add soya sauce .
- Add chilly garlic sauce and cook for few minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add chopped capsium and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the fried paneer cubes and coat it in the sauces and cook it covered for 3- 5 minutes.
- Finally dissolve 1 tbs of corn flour in 3 tbs of water and pour this to the paneer and mix well. Cook for another 1-2 minute and turn of the flame. Enjoy !!Sending this to Bloggers Buzz , BBPC assignment -1