Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Malabar mutton curry/ Varutharacha mutton curry


We don’t buy Mutton/ lamb at home often, even when we buy it’s usually for biriyani so if you check my blog I don’t have much mutton recipes, but during this holiday time we have been entertaining a lot and I  have been cooking with mutton too. For my last party I promised my friends Keralan food so when I bought mutton, the first thing which came to my mind was this varutharacha mutton curry which my amma used to make a lot. To be honest I was never a fan of varutharacha curry back then so I rarely made it myself.

My hubby did ask me whether I am sure I want to experiment  as this is not something I cook often, usually when he say something like that I lose my confidence and give up on that dish and go for my tried and tested recipes but this time I was determined. I am glad that I didn't listen to him  as this curry turned out  super delicious. My friends loved  it too !

In this recipe I have added a leaf ( ramba leaf ) which was very new to me until my friend who is from Srilanka introduced this to me, something which they add a lot in Srilankan cooking usually to flavour rice. It’s readily available in Indian/Asian groceries here.You can read more about the leaf here. It's an optional ingredient so please don't bother if you don't have it. 


Recipe source – Amma and my own

Ingredients
Mutton/Lamb – 1 kilo
To marinate
Chilli powder -1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
salt
Ginger garlic paste – 1  tbs

Onion - 6 medium
Tomato -3 small
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbs


To roast
Grated coconut/ ചിരണ്ടിയ തേങ്ങ – 1 ½ cup
Shallot/ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി – handful
Coriander seeds/ മല്ലി – 2 tbs
 Cinnamon /പട്ട– 1 stick
Cloves/ഗ്രാമ്പു– 4-5
Cardamom/ഏലക്ക -5
Star anise/തകോളം
Fennel/പെരുംജീരകം – 1 tbsp
Peppercorns/കുരുമുളക് – 1 tsp
Whole Red chilli/ വറ്റല്മുളക് – 3
Curry leaves/കറിവേപ്പില – 5-6 sprigs
Poppy seeds/cuscous/കസ്കുസ് – 1 tbs
Ramba leaf/ രംഭ ഇല /  ( optional) – 1 small piece

Coriander leaves/ മല്ലി ഇല
To temper
Coconut pieces/തേങ്ങാ കൊത്തു1 tbs
Shallots/ ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി  -4 thinly sliced

Curry leaves/ കറിവേപ്പില– few

 Method
  • Marinate the mutton with red chilli, turmeric, salt and 1 tbs ginger garlic paste for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
  • In a pan add some coconut oil and add the whole garam masala (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel,star anise) and when nice aroma comes out add grated coconut, coriander seeds, whole red chillies, curry leaves and roast for few minutes. When it start to turn change colour, add poppy seeds and carry on roasting until golden brown. DONOT roast beyond this point.


  • Once it’s cool grind it adding very little water into a smooth paste and keep it aside.
  • In a pressure add coconut oil and add chopped onion and saute until light brown.
  • Add in the rest of the ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell goes.
  • Add chopped tomatoes, few curry leaves and cook for few minutes.
  • Add in the marinated mutton, 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 -5 whistles or until mutton is cooked.
  • Once the pressure releases open the pressure cooker and add the ground masala paste, curry leaves, ramba leaf and boil everything for 5-10 minutes. 
  • In a small pan add coconut oil and fry the sliced shallots, coconut pieces separately until brown, throw in some curry leaves along with them before you remove them fire and add it to the gravy.
  • Add chopped coriander leaves and garnish. 

2 comments:

FLAVZCORNER said...

We too don't buy mutton that much as kids are not really a fan of this meat. But this curry looks yummy!! Ramba leaf...I started hearing this in Annie's Kitchen :) I believe its the all spice leaf, right?

Rafeeda AR said...

God... that color of the curry is just wow! I feel that when moms make it, we don't appreciate but when we are away from them, we crave for their food... :)