Happy Chinese New Year to all. I knew that Chinese New Year was this week but wasn’t aware that it was today until I checked my twitter. I felt like eating some Chinese today but since there is no descent Chinese near our place and I had to satisfy with my comfort food, rice and dal instead!! Anyway since its Chinese New Year I am here with a recipe which was in my drafts and which may fall into a Indo Chinese category perhaps?
I cannot really say Tofu is a delicious thing, it’s quite bland and the first few times I cooked with Tofu it was a disaster. I gave up on Tofu in spite of its health benefits until I came across my friend’s recipe. Nupur was confident that I will like it and gave me few tips to enhance the flavour too. It was so yummy like she said and Tofu started coming with me often in my shopping bag! I started adding baby corn to it and liked it even more as it gave a crunch to the recipe. This is a healthy alternative when you crave for some Manjurian and it’s quite quick to make too.
Tofu (extra firm) – 300 gm
Baby corn – 200 gm ( cut )
Capsicum/pepper – 1
Corn flour – 1 ½ tbs for Tofu + 1 1/2 for baby corn
Plain flour/ Maida – 3 tbs
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
Water – 1/8-1/4 cup
Oil for shallow frying
For the sauce
Onion -2 medium
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Ginger minced – 1tsp
Garlic minced – 1 tsp
Green chillies- 2 (cut diagonally)
Tomato sauce/ tomato ketchup - 3 tbs
Soya sauce - 2 tbs
Chilly garlic sauce - 2 tbs
Cornflour - 1 tbs
Water - 3 tbs
Sesame seeds – 1 ½ tbs (roasted)
- Take the extra firm tofu and gently squeeze the water and then remove the excess water with a kitchen tissue.cut them into cubes and dust them with 1 ½ tbs corn flour, salt and pepper.
- In other add1 ½ tbs corn flour, 3 tbs plain flour, salt, pepper, ginger garlic paste. Add some water and make a batter ( not too thin) . Add the cut baby corns and coat in well in the batter.
- In a pan add some oil and shallow fry both tofu and baby corns flipping the sides until they are golden brown. Drain it and transfer into a plate with kitchen tissue.
- In the same pan add minced ginger, minced garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cubed onions and chopped green chillies and saute until onions are soft.
- Add tomato sauce, soya sauce, chilly garlic sauce and cook for few minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add chopped capsicum and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the fried tofu cubes and baby corns and coat it in the sauces and cook it covered for 3- 5 minutes.
- Finally dissolve 1 tbs of corn flour in 3 tbs of water and pour this to the paneer and mix well. Cook for another 1-2 minute and turn of the flame.
- Sprinkle with freshly roasted sesame seeds and serve hot.