Thursday, May 16, 2013

Achari Gobi / Cauliflower in pickling masala


When it comes to veggies cauliflower is something I like to experiment a lot with. I m surprised by the way my eating habits have changed as I used to hate it before and the only cauliflower thing I used to like  was gobi manjurian. But now every week when I go for grocery shopping I pick cauliflower and think of every new way to prepare it. So when I came across this Achari gobi recipe in Playful cooking I  knew what I was going to do with cauliflower next time. And I did make it, not  just once but twice already. The first time when I made it, it was dark so we straight way digged in but second time I planned it ahead and made this a bit early before getting dark.

These days taking food pictures is not that easy especially when  my lil one is a tad bit hungry he gets frustrated and keep on nagging so I  pack my photo session right away, and when is not hungry he wants to help me  in taking pictures, so either way its not easy !!


Recipe source - Playful cooking

Ingredients
Cauliflower - 1 small

For roasting 
Whole redchilly / vattal mulaku - 2 
Fenugreek / Uluva - 1/2 tsp
Nigella / kalonji - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds / jeerakam / jeera  - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds / kaduku  - 1/2 tsp

Lime juice - 2 tbs

For sauce
Cinnamon stick/ Patta  - 1 inch stick 
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Nigella seeds - 1/2 tsp 
Onion   - 1 medium(chopped )
Tomato -2 ( blanched and pureed )
Ginger garlic paste ( inji - veluthulli paste ) - 1 tbs
Kashmiri chilly powder( piriyan mulaku podi )- 1 tbsp
Yogurt / curd/ thayyir  - 2 tbs
Sugar - 1 tsp
Oil 
Salt 
Coriander leaves/ malli ila 

Method
  •  In a pan dry roast( without oil ) the ingredients mentioned under roasting to a fine powder.
  • Transfer the pickling powder into a bowl and add lime juice to it give it a mix and keep it aside.
  • In a wok or a pan add some oil and add cauliflower florets and saute it for 10 minutes on a medium flame adding a pinch of salt until they turn light brown in colour.Transfer into a paper towel and keep it aside.
  • In the same pan add some more oil and sputter mustard seeds, thrown in cumin, nigella and fry for a minute or so until  they  leave aroma .
  • Add chopped onions and saute until soft and light brown in colour.
  • Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes off.
  • Add tomato puree, roasted pickling  powder, chilly powder, salt, sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the cauliflower florets kept aside to the sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
  • Finally add beaten yogurt and cook on a low flame stirring continously for 2-3 minutes.Check the salt and turn off the flame.
  • Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice/ roti/chapathi !



13 comments:

Divya Shivaraman said...

This is such a yummy dish...cauliflower drools me

kankana said...

Lovely! Now u are craving me for the curry :) Thanks for the mention Vineetha!

kankana said...

Lovely! Now u are craving me for the curry :) Thanks for the mention Vineetha!

Merry Tummy said...

I love Gobi and my hubby hates it..Please cook this when I come to your home :P
Love the wooden board, I also made the same :)

Vimitha Durai said...

I had bookmarked it too... have to try it soon... Looks too good

Unknown said...

wow yummy yum :) i like the achaari flavors..

meena said...

absolutely delicious.beautiful clicks.

Shibi Thomas said...

Looks like a perfect pair with some steamed rice. My kids love cauliflower. I am definitely going to try this recipe next time when I get cauliflower. My daughter is the one who tries to help in styling the food and some times you know how that goes :)

Mark Cullen said...

I never used to like cauliflower myself until recently. Think I'm going to go make some. Thanks

Rafeeda AR said...

this looks so perfect... this is bookmarked to be made for my cauliflower crazy brother!!! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Am sure this achari gobi will definitely tickle my tastebuds, looks fabulous..

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks a ton...I tried it and it turnd out to b simply awesum tasty and tangy dish til date!!!

Anonymous said...

I've tried this receipt and its been really yummy :-)