Friday, January 29, 2010

Kovakka Urulakizhangu Thoran ( Ivy gourd potato stir fry)


I never liked kovakka when I grew up but after marriage my mother in law used to make kovakka with potato and it tasted great.The combination with potato makes this thoran yummy and now Ivy gourd has become my favourite thoran.Here is my mother in law's recipe..

Ingredients


Kovakka(Ivy gourd) - 250 gm
Potato - 1
Tomato - 1/2
Onion -1
Green chillies- 2-3
Pepper powder - 1tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Curry leaves
Grated coconut - 3-4 tbs

Preparation

In a pan take some oil and sputter mustard seeds.Add chopped onions and saute for few minutes.Add chopped kovakka(chopped lengthwise), potato and tomato together with green chillies,turmeric and pepper powder. Add salt and water and cook .When it is almost cooked add grated conut and curry leaves and cook for few more minutes.

13 comments:

gtyuk said...

kovakka and urulakizhangu makes a wonderful combination; thoran looks appetizing and must be great with some ghee rice!!

Tina said...

Yummy and delicious thoran....

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice combo,simple but very nice stir fry

priya said...

delicious thoran, dear....yummy...tempting click!

Dolly Sharma said...

Vineetha, LOve ur Click. Thoran looks inviting. I love this subzi..and My MIL preapres it this way but without the potatoes.I'm sure adding potatoes would only enhance this dish.

Its ok, as and when you get time you can visit my blog., It does get hard with the little one. In fact I find it so hard when I want to visit other blogs and give my feedback as my son hardly takes naps.lol.

Padhu Sankar said...

Even I do not like kovakkai .I will try it with potato next time. Must surely be tasty.
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

Rachana said...

Delicious thoran dear! Looks really tempting:)

Namitha said...

Great combo..Love them both :-)adipoli click aanu ketto...

Sarah Naveen said...

Thats a new and interesting combo dea..!!! Chorum morum ithum..perfect oonnu..yummy yumm

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Ivy gourd and potato sounds like a great combo... the thoran looks nice and comforting!!! My first visit here shall keep coming by for more!!!

www.memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Sunitha said...

love, love, love kovaikka.. for once my husband and I share the same taste for food.:)

Perspectivemedley said...

Nicee dish :), I've never tried this combo, thank you :).. looks great!

Malar Gandhi said...

Perfect kovakka thoran...good with sambar rice:)