We have this Italian restaurant near our place and the ever since I tried spaghetti bolognese from there I was hooked, now every time I go there I go through the menu as if I am going to try something different, but I always end up ordering the same thing, silly right ? But thats how much I loved it. Most of the time the portion they give is soo big for me so they pack it in takeway boxes and I enjoy the rest at home :) I think it all depends on from where you try it, because atleast for me eventhough I tired it from several restauants, (even from Italy) none of those impressed me like the one served there. I still remember I posted a picture of my favourite sphaghetti in a post long time back which you can find here
Since my lil one loves spaghetti so much, I make the bolognese sauce at home and freeze in batches. They are so easy to make and taste really yummy, almost close to the my favourite restaurant's bolognese !
Recipe adapted from here
Ingredients(serves 4 )
Minced beef - 250 gm
Bacon slices - 2
Onion - 1 large
Carrots - 2
Garlic - 3 cloves
Tin of plum tomatoes(200 gm ) - 1 tin
Fresh Basil - 1 small bunch
Parmesan cheese - 50 gm
Sphaghetti - 250 gm
Oregano - 1 1/2 tsp
- Place a big saucepan or wok on flame and add olive oil.
- Add bacon slices and fry for few minutes until its golden.
- Add chopped onions, chopped carrots and miced garlic and cook for few minutes stirring in between until vegertables are soft. Add salt, oregano and pepper and cook for a minute or so.
- Add minced beef and stir till they turn brown.
- Finally add tinned tomatoes, fill the empty tin with water and add that water too.
- Bring the sauce to boil and then simmer it for 1 hour with lid on stirring in between.
- Take the lid off add basil leaves and cook uncovered for another 15 - 20 minutes, if the sauce is getting dry add little water.
- Remove from fire and grate half of the paramesan cheese to the hot sauce and stir. Check salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile cook spagetti according to package instructions, while draining the pasta reserve some cooking liquid.
- Mix the cooked spagetti and bolonase sauce and add little cooking water if u like to loosen it a little( I didn't do this ).
- Serve hot with sprinkles of paramesan cheese on top.