This cake recipe is from a cookery show hosted by Lakshmi nair. I have seen the video long time ago and thought of making it and never did,but when I saw the same recipe in kothiyavunu I got real inspiration to try it out and it turned out just great.I watched the video in youtube long time ago but cannot find the link now :(
Flour - 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder- 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1cup
Butter - 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
double cream - 2 cups(300-400 ml)
Powdered sugar - 5 tbs or according to your sweetness
glazed cherries - 200 gm
sugar- 1/2 cup
Water - 1 cup
Brandy - 2 tbs
Chcocolate strands / chocolate shavings/Grated chocolate
- Sift together flour,cocoa powder and salt.
- Melt the butter and keep it aside.
- Break 6 eggs in a bowl and add sugar and vanilla extract and beat it for atleast 10 minutes until the mixture becomes very light in colour and increases the volume upto 4-5 times.
- Add in the flour mixture and fold in until it is is well incorporated.
- Add the melted butter butter gradually and gently fold in.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree centigrade for35- 40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for sometime in cake tin and then in wire rack for 30- 45 minutes.
In a saucepan add sugar and water and stir it until it boils and all the sugar melts.Turn off the flame and 2 tbs of brandy.
Whip the cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks are formed.
Cut the cake into 2 slices .
Place the first slice on the cake board with cutside up and carefully prick the cake with fork or tooth pick.
Pour the syrup to the cake with a spoon evenly on the cake.
Spread the cream on the cake and spread cherries on top of cream layer.
Place the other slice on top of it and so the pricking again.
Pour the syrup evenly.
Spread the cream on the top and sides of the cake and allow the cake to set in the fridge for sometime.
Decorated the cake with cherries and chocolate strands/shavings or grated chocolate according to your liking.